Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Phrases that stick with you

Over the years I have had the pleasure of spending time with some real characters. Probably the most influential of all was my father. He was a true---horse riding---truck driving----cussing every breath----cowboy. He had a range of "sayings" he used to describe different aspects of life. I will list some at the end of this post. I have had other opportunities to gain some very descriptive phrases from others. I have spent most of today feeling pretty crummy with a stomach virus. I can birth babies, suffer through serious sore throats, go through numerous operations but throwing up and "peeing poo" (hence the phrase that stuck with me) *thanks Debbie* just about puts me down.

Additional phrases in my repertoire:

Disclaimer---non of these are meant to offend---remember the part about my daddy being a cussing every breath cowboy?

When describing very cold weather-----Colder that a witches tit in a brass bra.

When describing a person that tend to talk excessively----Liver lipped

When describing a bossy person----specifically my mother----The bull of the woods

When describing a person with a little mean or mischievous streak---A skunk---just so happens to be my childhood nickname from my daddy

Any male person of little gumption---A long hair----No matter the length of his hair----"hippies" were not a favorite of my dad. He did love my husband though----even though he was a long hair.

Just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks or an old cowboy a different way to put on his boots.

Miss you everyday daddy!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I'm sorry about your cousin. Even though we know they are in a better place, it's still sad for us. Also sorry that you were sick. Hope you are feeling better and I am glad that you are having fun with my little phrase. We've said it for a long time and many times unfortunately.