Monday, November 24, 2008

Needed clarification

As I tried to finish the dishes from lunch at about 4:00 p.m. I overheard a discussion between my two 8 year olds and their new 6 year old brother.
Grant: I wish we could go back to McDonald's for another adoption day.
Tish: Me too. We never get to go to McDonald's.
Grant: That is because it is to much money and Momma hates it.
E.J.: Ya'll only got to go because of me.
Tish: That is not true. We went because of Kallie and Riley too.
E.J. Nope it was because now I am real.
Tish: Real what?
E.J.: A real kid.
Grant: That is stupid you were always real.
E.J.: Nope not until after McDonald's.

As I wiped a tear I thought wow kids really do have their own understanding. Do foster kids think they are fake kids until someone adopts them? My precious EJ, when he came to us as a foster kid full of energy and ready for anything he was so real I thought he might drive me crazy. How precious that God allowed him to grow into my heart. Here's to you EJ, my real son!

1 comment:

Eliza said...

Awww Lisa... don't you love being a little fly on the wall and hearing what kids say when they are not being coerced by adults? Kids can be so honest with their feelings. You all have so much to be thankful for this time of year. What a blessing you all are for these little ones (and vice versa of course). I hope you all have a fabulous Christmas season.